Thanks for stopping by! I’m here today with Adam’s 6-month update. (There’s a link to Ethan’s here.) Happy Half-Birthday Sweetie!
- We’re finally not waking every two hours, but I really don’t want to jinx it.
- A few weeks ago, I hired a sleep consultant. She recommended cry it out (CIO), which I wasn’t happy about but also wasn’t against. As expected, he slept through the night a few times after a few rough nights. However, now I’m back to getting up with him though once or twice per night.
- After the rough nights, babies learn to eat more during the day, and they don’t need the night feedings (in theory). I’m not sure if it’s Adam’s belly or my boobs that didn’t get the memo, but one of them isn’t allowing for him to get enough calories during the day. He kept waking, so I mommy intuition said to throw in the towel and feed him.
- I don’t mind one or two feedings per night so long as he doesn’t fall into old habits.
- Naps are 2-3 per day. He’s a much better napper than his brother, though we get off schedule pretty easily. I find it’s hard to go out and about these days given the short windows between their naps, dinner time, breakfast, etc.
- 5 milk meals & 2 solid meals, which occur shortly after milk
- He is not a fan of his high chair or being spoon fed. I’m not terribly into baby-led weaning, but I’m dabbling in it since he hates purees so much.
- His favorites so far include self-fed broccoli, self-fed avocado, and self-fed or pureed sweet potato, and pureed mango. Even if he likes it, he still only takes a few bites.
- He hates green beans, peas, carrots, rice cereal, and banana, though he often hates anything if he’s just not in the mood.
- Smiling! He’s a pretty happy guy most of the time.
- Chewing on things. Allllll things.
- Sitting. He sits really well for his age and doesn’t need to prop himself up to do it.
- Ethan & Leia. He loves watching his older brother do just about anything, and when he’s not around, he also finds the cat fascinating. Luckily she’s baby-proof and lets him pull her fur.
- I’m hoping for a growth spurt.
- Adam went from about 19 inches long and 6 lbs 10 oz at birth (one week early) to 26 inches long and 15 lbs 1.5 oz at 6 months.
- He’s only in the 8th percentile for weight, and he’s in the 21st for height. I’m not trying to say there’s anything wrong with being small, but it’s unexpected given his brother’s size (consistently 86th percentile in height).
- Ethan went from 18 or 19 inches long and 5 lb 14 oz at birth (one month premature) to 27 and 3/4 inches long and 16 lb 3.5 oz at 6 months, a serious growth spurt.
Ethan and I are doing well too. I’m enjoying being home with them… most days. I’m looking forward to Adam learning to sleep through the night, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy the extra snuggles at least a tiny bit.