August 21st, 2012
Ever made a broad assessment based on unfounded, stereotypical claims? Well I’m about to make one. I hope you all can appreciate this post for its entertainment value and not its sincerity, or lack thereof.
What I Love About Europe
- Appreciation for quality – as seen in the older architecture that hasn’t crumbled
- Simple eats – How can a simple bread & salami sandwich taste so amazing?
- Little flush – Just a tinkle? There’s a water-conserving flush for that.
What Makes Me Laugh In Europe
- Terrible beds – We often stay in cheaper places, but I’ve felt “firm” taken to the extreme.
- Veggie-less traditional eats – Europeans eat plenty of veggies, but they can be hard to come by in restaurants.
- Towels (and often toilet paper) double as exfoliators – no need to pack scrubbing body wash
Uh, this is a double?
A Few Travel Essentials…
- Cotton Dress (so versatile & packable)
- Solid Clothing (best in photographs)
- Crocks Sandals (Leanne loved ‘em too on her India trip.)
- Restaurant List (get off the beaten path, or at least away from the tourist traps)
- Clinique Face Wash (best stuff ever & bonus gift is perfect for travel size)
- Good Travel Book with Map (so far, I’m loving Fodor’s)
Okay… that’s enough travel for a while. Check back in tomorrow for the WIAW blog party.
- What are some of your travel essentials?
December 13th, 2011
As you all know, I was bitten by the baby bug a month or so ago. It bit me pretty hard. However, I think I’ve made a full recovery. You can’t get pregnant from a bug bite.
So if babies aren’t in the picture, not that they actually were, what’s on tap for the next few years? I have fun plans and less-than fun plans. The less-fun plans include working on my career. Right now, the word “career” still seems like a joke considering my current position, but you never know what the future holds.
Got Degree - Gotta Use It
Time for fun plans. Fun #1: I need more travel! Kevin and I are good about getting out and about, and I’m not ready to slow down just yet (or ever.)
Here are trips I want to take:
- 2012: Big Trip – Aruba (plane seats booked)
- 2012: Mini Trip – Savannah (hotel room booked)
- 2013: Ireland (or Prague… so many choices!)
- 2013: Mini Trip – Portland, Oregon (if travel funds allow)
- 2014: Brazil (World Cup Baby!)
World Cup, Germany: USA v Italy
I’d really really really like to visit Munich for Oktoberfest in 2013, but I’m just not sure that’s going to fit the budget. That would a great way to celebrate my 5-year wedding anniversary, but I think we can go somewhere else much cheaper. (We’re frugal travelers who don’t mind little B&Bs, market meals, and cheap attractions <– some of the best museums are free with donation.)
Trains = Great Value
Fun #2: I’d like to put on about 5-10 pounds before having kids. I don’t *need* to gain any since I’m within the healthy weight range for my age/height. I’m close to the bottom end though, so I’d rather not chance anything. I think I’ll easily be able to add the 5- 10 over the next few years, so I can’t say I’m really in a hurry for this one!
- Do you have any big plans for the near (or not so near) future?
- Are you as vacation-crazy as I am, planning years in advance?