I don’t usually cook lunch for Kevin. Since I usually prep my own breakfast and lunch, often while cooking our dinner, throwing more cooking into the mix just doesn’t seem so appealing. However, I do occasionally make the extra effort.
Prepping lunch for Kevin can be a real challenge. He doesn’t seem to eat all that much at home, but it can take quite a bit to fill him up during the day. Of course, filling a man and filling a man with healthy food are two different ballgames.
He doesn’t complain about my healthy cooking (More quinoa? Yes please!), so when I do make lunch for him, I try to make something that’s both hearty and healthy. Here are a few meal ideas that have gone over fairly well at my house.
- Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches – These are made in the slow cooker and taste great. They’re a little high in sodium, so perhaps pair them with a banana for a little sodium-offsetting potassium. You could also go for salsa chicken or slow cooker bbq.
- Meatloaf – Meatloaf sandwiches are great, but so are meatloaf muffins. They’re very portable and are packed with lean protein. Either can be paired with veggies, fruit, or a side soup/salad.
- Pasta – My husband is a pastafarian. If you’re pushed for time, pre-made stuffed pastas are great, but if you have a couple minutes to whip up something a little healthier, try whole wheat penne, a little grated parm, spinach, chickpeas, sauce, and cooked pepper/onion mix. The fiber will keep him full for hours!
- Indian One-Pot Wonders – When I’m cooking only for Kevin, I can add extra heat. He likes it spicy, and I think his co-workers get jealous of the aroma.
- Slow Cooked Beef – Kevin loves BHG’s beef in red wine gravy, but he likes just about any slow cooked beef meal. A couple weeks ago I threw in cubed potatoes, carrots, onion, and lean stew beef with paprika, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and low-sodium beef broth. Hearty, indeed!
As you can see, I have a few recipes up my sleeve, but if you have any other hubby approved healthy lunch ideas, please link up in the comments or send ‘em my way!