Here is the recipe I teased you with on Wednesday for my hearty tree-hugger smoothie. It’s loaded with fiber and antioxidants. It also has a little protein to keep you full until lunch. Most importantly, it’s thick and creamy.
- A handful or two of baby spinach
- 1 banana, frozen in chunks
- 1 cup unsweetened soymilk (or other milk of choice)
- 2 TBS hemp protein (for Trader Joe’s brand, this is half a serving)
- 1/2 cup frozen berries (*I used berry mix with cherries)
Throw it all in your food processor. I layer it with the spinach on the bottom, and the hemp next. The heavier ingredients weigh these two down, thus allowing you to not just whip it, but to whip it good.
***I used an entire banana to get the creamy texture. For a more smoothie-like texture, use 1 cup of berries and half a banana. In the smoothie picture you saw on Wednesday, I also used 1 banana and 1 full cup of berries. It was too much! You can also add ground flaxseed, which I almost did, but that makes cleanup slightly more intense.
You may (or may not) be wondering what’s so tree-hugging about this. In case you missed it, there’s hemp in there. Hemp = Hippie Fuel It’s also vegan, and we all know how vegan diets are great for conservation.
I’ve had one of these almost every day this week. Should you see a drum circle forming in your living room, I suggest you decrease your consumption.
- What are your favorite smoothie add-ins?