December 6th, 2012
First up – the not-so-clean cleanse has come to an end. I threw in the towel for a few reasons:
- I refused to order another black coffee from Starbucks yesterday. Tall nonfat cappuccino for me!
- I haven’t been recovering from my workouts. I don’t think I’ve been doing the cleanse long enough for it to have affected my recovery, but a lack of adequate protein isn’t going to help me remedy the situation either.
- I ran out of wine. Okay okay… totally kidding. I’ve got a stockpile… you know, for all the holiday visitors…
- I weighed myself yesterday and decided I didn’t want to lose additional weight.
OMG – did she just mention weight? Yup. I went there. That wasn’t really the purpose of the cleanse anyway, just a side effect.
To be honest, this Body Love post had a bit more to it this morning, but I made an edit. I had second thoughts while at the gym, so as soon as I got back, I revised. Nevertheless, the link love on body love and self love below is still awesome. Check it out if you haven’t already.
- If you’ve got other link love for body love, link up in the comments!
January 12th, 2012
Altering my workout schedule is usually something I try to avoid. I like to make a plan, stick to it, and view my progress. However, life happens. (ie: bad run Saturday leads to long run Sunday, late football game Monday leads to shorter workout Tuesday morning)
I’ve had to alter my workout plan this week for various reasons, and instead of looking like this:
***Note: With the increased distance covered in my long runs, my bike rides have dropped to 40 minutes.
This week’s workouts have looked more like this:
||Core, Mini Bootcamp, Upper Body
||30-minute Run, Core
||30-min Bike, Upper Body
||3-mile Quick Run
I’m okay with that. We’ll see how the rest of the week treats me. To be honest, I am really looking forward to a more moderate weekend run this week. 8 miles did a number on my knees and hips. Luckily, they’re already feeling better.
All this running has made significant changes in this gym rat’s body. When I first started running 3 days per week, all I wanted were simple sugars. Thank goodness decreased… though I’d still scarf a soft cookie (or 3) if the opportunity presented itself. Since then…
- My butt has flattened. Yeah, it’s a bummer, but I think this will fix itself once I resume my gym-rat ways. Squats, bench step-ups, and lunges will be my friends again.
- I cannot sit on the floor. My knees prevent me from sitting on the floor. They stiffen up and huuuuurt when I get up. I’m like a 90 year-old woman.
- My hips/upper thighs have widened. I can still wear my pants, but they fit a little differently. Let’s all pretend this is pure muscle. Then again, maybe this is just my aging self… sigh…
- I am tired. I’m pumped up for my runs and workouts, but at other times, all my body wants is sleep, sleep, and more sleep.
My 5k in May
But all this running has done things to my mind as well. Most importantly, it has allowed me to embrace and even kind of enjoy running. I’m going to keep on pushing myself a while longer, and whenever I resume those aforementioned gym-rat ways, I plan to incorporate a run or two into my plan every week… in theory.
- Has anyone else noticed a difference in your body when you changed your workout? (Please say I’m not alone! haha)
- Is anyone glad I shared these changes, such as newbie runners? Or TMI?