Yeah, I just said it, “Burn without Feeling the Burn.” I realize it sounds just as cheesy as “Burn Calories without Trying” or “Workout without Exercising.” Just roll with it.
I recently heard a news piece (similar this article, What Housework Has to do with Waistlines in The NY Times) that discussed women’s growing weight problems. Though this doesn’t apply to all of us, I think we all know that the population as a whole is growing… mostly around the middle.
The news piece (presumably on account of this study) said the decrease in daily activities has given women trouble. More sitting at computers (or in front of DVRs) leaves less time for cleaning our own homes, cooking family dinners, washing our own cars, etc.
In 1965, women spent 25.7 hours/week on average cooking and cleaning. In contrast, women spent 13.3 hours/week on such tasks in 2010. However, time in front of a screen (tv or computer) doubled… shocker.
That may not sound like such a big deal, but there are 52 weeks in a year. Yeah… it adds up.
This got me thinking of all the things we can do to burn without necessarily feeling the burn, at least not in the gym.
- Fight fat with Fido – take a hike or play in the dog park with your pup (bonus points to bathe it afterwards)
- Clean your house (or paint a room)
- Wash your car
- Spend “quality” time with your significant other
- Park further from the store or office
- Cook a meal (not Hamburger Helper)
- Yard work, yard work, and more yard work
- Trade massages with your spouse
- Fidget (but not around people because that’s annoying)
- Organize something, a closet, a pantry, anything!
- Try a new hairstyle (your arms might notice the burn though)
- Go shopping – bonus points for carrying goods instead of carting them
You can also check out these links:
- 58 Ways to Burn 100 Calories without Trying Self Mag
- 30 Ways to Burn 100+ Calories without Even Trying Shape Mag
- Burn Extra Calories without Even Trying CBS News
Do you make a conscious effort to burn without trying? If so, do you have go-to activities?