December 10th, 2012
What can I say? I have a thing for alliterations. I have posted my recipe for Kale, Cabbage, & Quinoa Casserole below, but before I get to that, I have to do a mini weekend recap. It was too much fun to not share!
Friday… Kevin’s company party at the NASCAR Hall of Fame
Saturday Morning… cookies and present wrapping
Saturday Afternoon/Evening… slow n’ steady run and a bar crawl (more bar crawl info coming later this week)
Sunday… this awesomeness!
- 2/3 cup water, 2/3 cup water, divided
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 5 oz kale (stems removed and cut into strips or small pieces)
- 1.5 lb cabbage (cut into slaw-like strips)
- 2 TBS olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 heaping tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 2 large eggs
- 3 oz freshly grated Greyere or white cheddar cheese
- 3 TBS breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and grease a 9×13 pan with 1 TBS olive oil.
- Boil water, and add quinoa. Simmer until cooked (approximately 15 minutes). Fluff lightly with fork and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 TBS oil in a large non-stick pan or pot over medium. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent. Add garlic, dried mustard, and poultry seasoning. Cook until fragrant (1 minute).
- Add the kale to the pot with 2/3 cup water (or less water if it’s still wet from washing). When kale has mostly wilted, add cabbage. Simmer, stir, and cook about 10 minutes. Cabbage should be soft but not overcooked.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Mix into the vegetable pot. Also stir in the cooked quinoa and grated cheese. Pour into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake 40-45 minutes. If you can stand it, allow it to sit 10 minutes prior to serving, which should give you just enough time to wash some of your cooking dishes.
Thanks to Heather for hosting another Meatless Monday linkup. This week’s ingredient was quinoa, so check out her site for other quinoa recipes!
November 19th, 2012
This weekend involved a lot of resting. I had to rest my body from the previous week (or three). You can ready more about why I’m healing more than workout out this week from Saturday’s post.
Anyone love Precor bikes as much as I do?
I still made it to the gym for a bit of biking and leg work Saturday, but there was a whole lotta’ sitting going on around my house.
Today I’m still going to the gym, but I think I’ll do both chest and back today with light stationary biking, which are normally separated per this month’s routine. That will leave more time tomorrow for pilates and swimming.
I did plenty of sitting on Saturday while watching college ball. Hurray for another Clemson win! I think the pony, paw prints, and purple sweater had something to do with it.
On Sunday, I did a lot of sitting at the computer. My buddy’s getting married, so we’ve been emailing about wedding stuff. Yup – this girl gets to be in it. Yay!!!
Speaking of weddings, it wasn’t long ago my other buddy got her wedding photos back from the photographer. Check out this hot couple. Rawwwrrrrr. I love photographers and their editing skills.
Dress: Jessica Simpson, Necklace: J Crew (thanks Kevin),
Purse: Kate Spade (thanks Karen!)
The resting doesn’t end there, while physically resting, I also had to do a bit of mental resting. I tend to stress more than I should around the holidays, so it was good for me to take a breather. Let’s hope the lower stress levels continue throughout the week…
- How are your workouts as of late? Hopefully better than mine!
- Do you stress around the holidays?
August 17th, 2012
Are you ready for some pigskin? (Do they even still use actual pig skin???) I sure am. Clemson plays Auburn in Atlanta on Labor Day Weekend, and I’m pumped for the Tiger vs Tiger action.
I have not purchased a tailgate spot for the year since Kevin and I usually bounce around to different areas. However, if I did have my own spot, I think these BBQ sundaes would be a staple. Brilliant!
What else would be at my tailgate? Good beer in a can. More craft brewers are looking to aluminum. In my opinion, draft >; bottled >; canned, but when boating or tailgating, canned is the way to go. Here’s a list of breweries using cans.
Although my closet is already filled with orange, I’ve been eyeing this dress for a couple months now. I’ve seen it in other collegiate colors, but who would want anything besides orange and purple???
By the way – Clemson Girl has a coupon code for 15% off this dress (and other items) on her blog today. Check it out!
In other workout-related news…
- Monday – I did the workout I posted on Monday, and I was actually a little sore from it Tuesday.
- Tuesday – warmup, 2-mi run, cool down
- Wednesday – 10 min elliptical, body pump class after work
- Thursday – warmup, 2-mi run, cool down
- Friday (that’s today! TGIF) – abdominal work & spin class (or a long walk instead since my belly isn’t feeling 100%)
- Saturday – Jillian Michaels Self Magazine circuit workout & 3-mile walk with hubs
- Ready for football?
- What was/is your workout today?
July 2nd, 2012
As I already noticed on Saturday, it’s hot. Oh, you noticed too? Well it was extra toasty in my neck of the woods on Sunday. Kevin and I got home from a wedding around midnight on Saturday, and we found out that our air conditioner was totally frozen. No AC for me.
I hit the gym at 11:30 Sunday morning, and the gym’s AC was out too. I took it easy on the elliptical, completing 30 minutes. I finished up with my beloved upper-body workout, which I will share later this week. I didn’t push it, but it still looked like I had jumped in a lake.
Soooo, yeah… it was quite warm in North Carolina. I’m going to the gym this morning for another dose of cardio machine torture training, so hopefully the AC’s fixed!
Speaking of workouts, here is the new plan for July. I know I mentioned the 30-day Ab Challenge, but I decided against it. I have very limited time M-Th, so I’ve had to significantly adjust accordingly.
- Monday: 30 min cardio in morning, hip strengthening at night
- Tuesday: abdominal work and/or yoga
- Wednesday: run and/or bodypump
- Thursday: abdominal work and/or yoga, hip strengthening at night
- Friday: my favorite upper-body workout, spin class, core
- Saturday: run, at-home lower-body workout, hip strengthening
- Saturday: 30-45 min elliptical or stair climb, my favorite upper-body workout
I know it looks like a lot, but Tuesday and Thursday are very light days. I just like to move a little before I sit at a desk all day!
- How was your weekend?
- How did you beat the heat?
May 15th, 2012
I did a little more than party rock this weekend. I also went shopping. For hours. And hours. Okay… I didn’t hit the stores tooooo terribly long, but it felt like a long time since I’m not a big shopper.
Check out this loot though…
All of that awesomeness cost me about $135. I showed those stores who’s boss. The dress and three tops are from Kohl’s, and the Aerosoles shoes are from Marshall’s (so comfy). The purple top came from New York & Co., and there’s also a swim cap hidden there somewhere. (My swim cap was not to included in my grand total.)
I feel purdy!!! I got to wear my new dress to a belated Cinco de Mayo party Saturday night. Benefits to a belated party? The hosts got all the cool decor for free. It looks like everyone found some deals this weekend!
I know that yesterday’s post wasn’t health related, and today’s isn’t so healthy either. The truth is, I tried not to focus too much on food and fitness this weekend. It’s still a little upsetting to think about all the workouts I can’t do.
With that said, I have started an easy workout program this week, which I will share with you once I decide if I like it or not. I also have an appt with a different sports doc tomorrow morning. Lastly, I’m changing up the diet a little, and I’ll share more info on that in tomorrow’s WIAW post.
- Found any good deals lately?
- Are you a shopper?