Meal Planning for Three

How was everyone’s weekend? Mine was good. Busy. But good. Rather than recap everything, though I can’t NOT post this awesome sushi…

sushiI’m posting our meal plan for the week. Drafting a store list has been a little more intense now that I’m trying to cook meals that Ethan can eat. (Ethan at Cowfish sushi and burger restaurant, our night out on Saturday. It’s one of my fav Charlotte restaurants!)

babyI want to cook meals we’d normally eat to get him used to our grown-up food, but I still have to modify a bit. (ie: We often eat a bit of spicy stuff and saucy one-pot meals that aren’t great for finger-food.)

So here’s the plan for the week:

• Sunday – baked salmon, roast red potatoes, green beans**
  • Monday – pulled chicken burritos with side salad (pulled chicken prepped Sunday from the chicken salad I made for Kevin and I.)
  • Tuesday – red beans n’ rice (with veg)
  • Wednesday – leftover beans n’ rice
  • Thursday – sliced spicy chicken sausage, pasta, peas, spinach (E can have pasta and peas.)
  • Friday – out? frozen pizza? pasta leftovers?

**The salmon baked at 375F for 45 minutes while the potatoes roasted. They had roughly the same cook time, which makes things easy. I also baked Ethan an acorn squash at that same time and temp that I pureed and froze in an ice-cube tray after dinner. He’s working on finger food but still gets a bit of puree.

pancakesOn Sunday morning, I made pancakes for the family. They turned out really well (except the burned batch that I ate), so here’s the recipe. Leftovers were frozen for Ethan to have throughout the next week or two.

Simple n’ Scrumptious Whole Wheat Pancakes

• 3/4 cup milk
  • 2 TBS apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 TBS white sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 egg
  • 1 TBS butter, melted
  • cooking spray, olive oil, or butter for pan
  1. Mix milk and vinegar, and allow it to sit 5 minutes (or use buttermilk).
  2. Stir together dry ingredients. Add egg and butter to milk.
  3. Stir wet into dry with a whisk, but don’t over-mix.
  4. Pour about 1/4 cup batter in greased pan. Wait until you see a little bubble or two before flipping.

pancakesEthan loved them, just as he loved the salmon later that night. What a good little eater… most of the time.

• What are you making this week?

This entry was posted in Food and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Meal Planning for Three

1. Tina Muir says:

Yummy! I love pancakes on weekends, that is nice you ate the burned ones so your family did not have to! You have got me thinking about pulled chicken now, yum!

2. Jaclyn @ Bumpsweat says:

I need to meal-plan this morning but seem to have misplaced my motivation ;)

3. I’m making salmon this week too! I like to have it about once a week. Pancakes on the weekend are such a luxury for me! Nothing says a lazy Saturday or Sundaymorning like pancakes.

It’s so good that you eat it once per week. I know it’s good for us, but we only do about once per six months. haha Not big seafood fans here!

4. kristin says:

that’s awesome that ethan eats salmon!

5. Mmmm I’ve been trying to meal plan more lately so I feel ya! And leftovers are definitely a part of the planning strategy haha

Yay for leftovers! Some friends say their hubby won’t eat leftovers. I’m like, if he wants to eat, he’ll eat them… ha

6. I’m completely pancaked out arghhhh. Made 50 of them yesterday for a big crowd. Feel free to come make them for me instead ;)

7. Mmmm…love pancakes! I’m making a zucchini quiche and some homemade mac and cheese!

8. Steamed artichokes! I’m obsessed lately.

9. Marnie @ SuperSmartMama says:

I’m planning on making some baked salmon this week, too! I like your idea of serving them up with some potatoes and green beans. Yum!

10. Ohhhh the sacrifices that come with being a mother — I remember my mom always volunteering to eat the burnt batches too. Mothers are fabulous :D

No idea what’s on the menu for me this week! But I’ve been seeing a lot of pancake and waffle recipes floating around recently, so I’m thinking brinner is going to happen at some point.

11. Pancakes are THE BEST. Jealous!

12. I’m coming over for dinner this week :)

13. Do you mean what is my Mom making this week? Haha! I am going home:) I did leave Kenny with some stew, turkey stirfry and chicken soup:)