Wednesday, is it? The days just run together for me. I live in three-hour intervals instead of the typical 24, so I’m always questioning the date and the clock.
Anyway – today I want to share a brief list of newborn must-haves. I can’t say these items are the best of the best since they’re the only ones I’ve tried (make sense?), but I can say they’ve been pretty helpful.
1. Swaddle Blankets – These makes swaddling much easier, and they’re thin enough to not overheat my little man.
2. The Happiest Baby on the Block DVD – I read the book, which I sort of recommend, but I wanted the hubby to learn a couple of the book’s tricks to calming a crying baby. Luckily, my library had this DVD, which I was able to check out for free. We didn’t watch it all, but it was good for a couple quick tips.
3. Graco Pack n’ Play – Instead of buying a separate bassinet, we just set this up next to our bed. I’m not sure when we’ll move E to his own room, but this worked since we were going to buy a pack n’ play anyway.
4. Boob-ease – It’s got a funny name, but it really helps and is even organic.
5. Support – We’ve had a lot of support, which has been really helpful. As mentioned, cleaning services and meal prep from my parents have been a huge help. (My dad brought me lunch and babysat on his lunch break today while I napped. Thanks Dad!) Although Kevin’s parents aren’t quite as close, they’ve become addicted to FaceTime with little Ethan, and my grandfather even drove 8 hours in the car for a 1-hour visit just to see his great grandson.
The hardest part is knowing how to leverage that support. People genuinely want to help, but it’s difficult finding ways for them to do it. I have no tips here since I’m still working on it myself.
- Do you live near family?
- Mamas, what are your must-haves?