It’s no secret that Kevin and I enjoy entertaining. We do it regularly, though it’s usually just one or two other couples. We actually had people over this past Friday to celebrate Kevin’s birthday.
The banana pudding cheesecake I made for Kevin’s birthday
Let me get this straight. I’m no Martha Stewart.
Nevertheless, that doesn’t mean I can’t be taught. I’ve learned a thing or two, and I wanted to share my beginner tips with you.
1. Cook what you know. My grandmother, a fabulous hostess, told me you don’t have to be able to cook everything in the book. Just practice a few house specials and learn to do them well.
2. Do as much as you can before guests arrive. I generally stick to baked dishes or crock pot meals when I’m having company. I once made a roast, which I thought would be a good idea, but the side dishes were too labor intensive when I had people in my kitchen.
I don’t want to ignore my guests while I’m cooking. It can make them feel awkward, and it’s downright boring for them. Baked or crock pot dishes make the house smell pleasant while I visit with everyone. It’s a win-win.
3. Care for a drink? If you’re serving drinks, have your special cocktail already mixed, or have your wine decanting with wine glasses sitting out. Having a drink ready can make guests feel welcome. Of course, it’s also fine to do BYOB; people often feel better if they can bring something.
4. It’s never just drinks. What I mean is, if you’re having a wine tasting or cocktail party instead of a dinner party, it’s good to let people get a little something on their stomachs. If you’ve got the time and money to whip up some fun appetizers, go for it. However, even just some chips can make someone’s night go a bit more… ummm… smoothly.
5. Relax! Have a plan and perhaps an expected schedule, but don’t worry if you don’t stick to it. Your guests won’t know if you forgot to add a spice, if you’re running 10 minutes behind schedule, or something of the like. Just enjoy your time with friends!
I hope this was helpful. I’d love to hear your entertaining tips too if you’ve got any. Like I said, I’m a newbie myself! I wish I had better entertaining pictures for this post, but I’m usually too busy chatting to be snapping away with my camera.
- Are you a fan of hosting? Got any tips for me?