YOPO

Sick of “YOLO” yet?  I bet you are.  How about “YOPO?”  (You’re Only Pregnant Once… unless of course you decide to do it again.)  Yesterday’s YOPO was pizza night.  Pizza – on a Monday??? You betcha!

pizza

Okay, so I actually only ate 2/3 of mine and will have the remainder for lunch today.  If you couldn’t tell, mine was Amy’s frozen cheese-free pizza.  Kevin got the cheesy goodness, but at least he let me make it.  Fun!

pizza

That was definitely a YOPO success.  Sadly, I’ve had some YOPO failures too.  Failures mainly fall the beauty department since I’m failing miserably at going all-natural.  Here are some of the products I’ve tried as well as my thoughts on each one.

1. Alba Botanica natural shampoo & conditioner: It smells great, but the shampoo doesn’t spread well, which means I have to use 2 or 3x as much product.  That’s not good for someone with long, thick locks!

shampoo

2. Seventh Generation laundry detergent & bathroom cleaner: The detergent seems to work well.  The bathroom cleaner, on the other hand, smells awful.  I can hardly stand it, so I generally just stick to vinegar/water.

so fresh and so smelly

3. Toms’ of Maine toothpaste, mouthwash, and deodorant: All of these products are crap.  (Sorry Tom Fans)  None of them work nearly as effectively as their cheaper and not-so-natural counterparts.  I find myself using more product, and it still doesn’t get the job done as well.

tom

4. Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Facial Cleanser: Worst of the bunch!  I was initially upset that this does not remove makeup, but it gets worse.  I bought it because the label said, “No harsh chemical sulfates, parabens, petrochemicals, dyes, phthalates,” and it did not say it was an acne cleanser. Score!  Right?

neutrogena

Well… apparently it does contain willow bark, which I did not realize is a pretty way to say salicylic acid.  Yeah… that’s one of those bad acne medications you’re really not supposed to use pregnant.  I’m throwing the rest out or giving it to Kevin.  #YOPOfail on my part

• Are there any all-natural products you like?
  • Ever failed with ingredients lists?

This entry was posted in Pregnancy and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to YOPO

1. I’m sorry about the natural product fails. I love cleaning with baking soda or water and vinegar. I won harmonics shampoo and conditioner on itz linz and have been loving it. IT’s made by intelligent nutrients, organic and smells amazing. I love using coconut oil as a moisturizer, not any special skin kind but the same kind I would use when cooking. my skin has softened so much and my face is actually breaking out less with the additional oils at night.

2. I tried that Neutrogena face wash and wasn’t a fan either. :P I’m not sure if it’s completely all natural, but I adore Burt’s Bees’ milk and honey hand lotion. It smells amazing!

3. Oh yes, there are many times I have failed with ingredient lists, even as an RD who “should know this stuff”……
    I hate the Tom’s deodorant, it does nothing for me. I’m sticking to the bad stuff when ‘m pregnant :) But food, yes, it’ll be organic!

4. lindsay says:

LOL! I so agree with the TOms products. Taste is way off!

5. Ugh, I feel your pain on the natural products. I’ve tried out a decent amount of them, and more often than not I just end up being disappointed. I love the idea of going more natural, but seeing as I’m a complete beauty junkie and don’t exactly want to lower my standards, I’ll be sticking with the chemically stuff for now. Have you ever tried the deodorants from La Vanilla? Those are pretty natural and actually work/smell REALLY well.

6. Lol i cracked up at “yopo” :) natural products are soo hard. i’m horrible, i end up doing all this research and then end up getting the normal chemically one anyways. but yeah i dont like tom’s either.

7. Katie says:

Check out Food Babe’s site. She has an entire listing of all-natural beauty products that she recommends. You may have some luck there…

8. Your pizzas look awesome. I think that I am probably in the mood for pizza pretty much EVERY night! ;)

9. Cait's Plate says:

Those Amy’s roasted vegetable pizzas are SO good. I honestly can’t believe how good they are. Bummer about the natural product failures…have you checked out method? They’re available Target…I just read a book about how they’re all natural and how people tend to love them!

10. I have to ask… what’s YOLO?

11. Your pizza looks delicious, and what a hysterical post title. I may have to follow you down that rabbit trail now, as I am counting down my 5 last weeks, its super hot, and I am hungry all the time!

12. Nikki says:

There is NEVER a bad time for pizza! haha Those look great! I also think you should make YOPO the new thing!

13. Christen says:

I also HATE the smell of the Seventh Generation cleaner. I hated it before I was pregnant, actually. The good news is the Method brand cleaners smell great (I like the bathroom disinfectant and the kitchen antibac).

I have waist-length thick hair and I use the One ‘n Only Argan Oil Shampoo & Conditioner (I buy it at Sally’s Beauty). It’s sulfate and phosphate free and works really well. I’ve also heard good things about the Burt’s Bees Gud hair products. I use the Simple Brand face wash – it seems somewhat similar to Cetaphil. I didn’t even try to switch to natural deodorant – I sweat far too much for that! I taught fitness classes up until 24 weeks, so I couldn’t exactly stink up the room, ha!

I’ve really been wanting to try Burt’s Bees hair products. I’ll be checking those out as soon as I finish this Alba stuff.

14. Hmmm…I love Tom’s toothpaste, but then a gain I’ve been using it for probably 10 years, so I’m used to it. I really like Nutribiotic deodorant, but it’s a local company where I like (I think), so I doubt they sell it where you are.

As for cleaners, I use Method, which I doubt is natural, but I love the smells…lol

I totally forgot to add Method to my list. I guess that’s because I was using a little of their stuff beforehand. They make some great stuff!

15. I pretty much buy all my products from natural brands. My favorite is dessert essence coconut shampoo!

16. Michelle says:

Those Neutrogena Natural products make my acne worse! I wouldn’t worry TOO much about using it though – it’s not like you ingested it.

As far as cleaners go – I really like the Mrs. Meyers products!