The gym is finally calming down a bit. Some of the January Joiners have stuck around, but others have already gone. For that reason, this Fitness Friday features a bit of tough love. Sorry, but love hurts.
Leading a healthy lifestyle is fun. It’s rewarding. It’s contagious to those around you. Most of all, it’s… well, healthy. We already know all this, but here’s another truth, leading a healthy lifestyle is tough! If it were easy, everyone would do it.
If your resolutions seem to be slipping out of reach, here are a few thoughts to consider. Maybe they will help you stay grounded, reset your expectations, or realize that lots of people feel this way, even seasoned gym rats!
- 5 a.m. is always early. If you have chosen to start your day with a sweat session, no matter what time the alarm goes off, (4, 5, 6, or even 7 a.m.) it feels too early. Sure, your body will get in the groove a bit, and you’ll start going to bed earlier. Some mornings you’ll even pop out of bed like a jack-in-the-box, but you’re bed will always be more comfy than your running shoes. Get used to it.
- Something always comes up. If you workout after work/class/etc., you know how things often get in the way. You’ve had a rough day, the weather’s terrible, or you have to work late. It happens! You’re not the first person to miss a workout, and you won’t be the last. That doesn’t mean you need to throw in the towel completely or let cancellations become a habit.
- Habits take time. Working out regularly and eating healthfully are part willpower, but they’re mostly habit. Take baby steps, like not getting whipped cream at Starbucks, and then you’ll be taking big steps, like ordering healthy meals at restaurants. Don’t automatically blame your “lack of willpower” when you’re just not in the habit yet. You’ll get there!
- You will never “find” time. Time isn’t something we can find and purchase on Amazon. While some people are certainly busier than others, we all must make time for our priorities. If you want a healthy lifestyle to be a priority to you, make time for it. Write down your workout plans. Prep your meals Sunday. Do whatever it is you’ve gotta do to make the time.
- No one’s perfect. We all slip up here and there, but practice certainly helps. Before heading to the fridge for a snack, visualize yourself picking out a healthy option and enjoying it. (sounds silly but a neat trick) Even if you’re not a marathoner or track star, you’re still lapping everyone on the couch!
- Get out of your comfort zone. You don’t need to push your workouts to extremes every day, but you’ve gotta bust out of your comfort zone. In short, if you still look cute after your workout, you didn’t work hard enough. Sorry to say it, but you know it’s true.
Was that too tough? I know the tough love won’t work for everyone, but it works for me! I find it refreshing, and on that note, since it’s Friday and all…
- Got any other tough love to share? How about some Friday love instead?