The weekend… is… over? Where did it go? Why so fast? It was another winner, despite my lingering ick. I healed from my cold, but then I got a sinus infection. Ugh. Soooooo the workouts are still at weights, yoga, and walking, nothing crazy for me.
Even though my body wasn’t cooperating, good things happened. I received two boxes of goodies in the mail on Friday.
This month’s Fruit of the Month box and a treat from Premier Protein. I look forward to trying the shakes, but the bars are too high-cal for me. I gave them to Kevin, and he says they taste great.
The goodness didn’t stop there. I cooked a yummy Tuscan inspired dinner of bruschetta, steak, white bean ragu, and montepulciano wine.
We started with a very small bruschetta appetizer.
Then I cooked the beans and broiled our steaks while enjoying some wine. It was like being in Florence all over again, or at least I can pretend it was.
White Bean Ragu
- 1-2 TBS olive oil
- 1 medium russet potato (cubed)
- 1 red bell pepper (coarsely chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (coarsely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2-3 tsp dried oregano
- 2-3 tsp dried basil
- black pepper to taste
- 1 can diced tomatoes (salt-free)
- 1 can white beans (rinsed, drained)
- 1/3 cup red wine (probably optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pan with lid over medium. (I used a non-stick braising pan.) Add the potato and cook a few minutes, stirring occasionally. You can chop your peppers during this time.
- Add peppers to the pan and continue cooking and stirring. Stir a little more frequently while prepping the garlic. Add the garlic, oregano, basil, and a little black pepper.
- Once the peppers have had a chance to sweat a bit and have started to soften, add the tomatoes. If brown bits collected on your pan, scrape those up as soon as you add the tomatoes. Stir.
- Add the beans and wine. Stir and cover. Reduce heat to medium-low, and stir occasionally. Serve once liquids have thickened and potatoes are tender.
There was enough to make a full lunch for Kevin and I the next day. Yum!
Another win for Eat In Month!
- Did you have any memorable meals this weekend?