What can I say? I have a thing for alliterations. I have posted my recipe for Kale, Cabbage, & Quinoa Casserole below, but before I get to that, I have to do a mini weekend recap. It was too much fun to not share!
Friday… Kevin’s company party at the NASCAR Hall of Fame
Saturday Morning… cookies and present wrapping
Saturday Afternoon/Evening… slow n’ steady run and a bar crawl (more bar crawl info coming later this week)
Sunday… this awesomeness!
- 2/3 cup water, 2/3 cup water, divided
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 5 oz kale (stems removed and cut into strips or small pieces)
- 1.5 lb cabbage (cut into slaw-like strips)
- 2 TBS olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 heaping tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 2 large eggs
- 3 oz freshly grated Greyere or white cheddar cheese
- 3 TBS breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and grease a 9×13 pan with 1 TBS olive oil.
- Boil water, and add quinoa. Simmer until cooked (approximately 15 minutes). Fluff lightly with fork and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 TBS oil in a large non-stick pan or pot over medium. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent. Add garlic, dried mustard, and poultry seasoning. Cook until fragrant (1 minute).
- Add the kale to the pot with 2/3 cup water (or less water if it’s still wet from washing). When kale has mostly wilted, add cabbage. Simmer, stir, and cook about 10 minutes. Cabbage should be soft but not overcooked.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Mix into the vegetable pot. Also stir in the cooked quinoa and grated cheese. Pour into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake 40-45 minutes. If you can stand it, allow it to sit 10 minutes prior to serving, which should give you just enough time to wash some of your cooking dishes.
Thanks to Heather for hosting another Meatless Monday linkup. This week’s ingredient was quinoa, so check out her site for other quinoa recipes!