Sesamoid Smeshamoid

I’ve hurt myself… again.  I know, total fail, right?  I wanted to run another half mary in the spring, so for now, I just wanted to make running 3 times per week feel comfortable.  Around 10 miles per week would be perfect.

Everything was going well until I ran 4 miles a couple weeks ago on an all-gravel and somewhat hilly trail.  The area between my big toe and ball of foot was hurting, but it wasn’t bad.  I ran through it.

homer

My foot felt better on my 3-mile Tuesday run, but on Wednesday, I couldn’t even walk.  I walked 8 minutes on the treadmill (of my attempted 45 minutes), but the pain was too much.  I ran Thursday again anyway since it felt better, (another “Doh!”) though I did skip the weekend’s “long” run.

workout

Friday’s Cardio on the Stationary Bike

This week, I had another successful 3 miles Tuesday, but the pain was back again Wednesday.  Perhaps I shouldn’t have done that elliptical circuit…  Anyway, long story short, I neeeeeeeed to take time off if I’m going to get better.  No running.  No power walking (for a few days), and no crazy elliptical work either.  Just lifting, biking, and pilates.

I think it’s just sesamoiditis (bruising/inflammation of sasamoids), which is explained well in the links below.  Basic RICE should fix it (rest, ice, compression, elevation.)

So what else am I doing instead of running?  Drowning my sorrows in beer n’ pizza, of course.  I know – emotional eating isn’t the answer, but man did it taste goooooood!

pizza

Now I think I better clean up the diet for a while.  And by “for a while,” I mean until Thanksgiving.  (Priorities.)

This entry was posted in Fitness and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Sesamoid Smeshamoid

1. Marcia says:

Ugh, so sorry! Injuries are always a bummer. Taking time off is HARD! Hang in there!

2. Missi says:

No more training until AFTER Black Friday. I need my shopping partner to be able to walk all day without complaint! Well, walk at least until we hear the beer calling!

3. That suck- sorry to hear about it. Hopefully the RICE method works and you’ll be back healthy in no time!

4. Elle says:

Well, good you got a handle on the cause and the cure! I hate when something hurts and I don’t know why or what to do for it.

Good luck and stay off it! Enjoy your pizza and beer… they look great.

5. Bleh. Sorry to hear that you’re hurting… hopefully RICE will fix it. And if not, then I’m sure pizza and beer will help out somewhat ;)

6. Oh no! But it sounds like you’re doing the right thing by giving it a rest now. You’ll be back to it in no time! :)

7. lindsay says:

oh no!!!! so sorry friend. I hope you get better soon. Try swimming! that’ a good one to ease pressure off foot.

8. Rest up, girlie!! Sending healing hugs!

9. The beer will take the pain away :)

10. I’ve had some issues with my seasmoids in the past. That stinks! Rest up and if it’s not better, I found a just 1 cortizone shot made a huge difference!

11. I’m sorry to hear that you’re injuried. Hopefully you’re right about what it is and it won’t take but a week of rest for it to heal.

Pizza and Beer is always the right answer.

12. Corey @ Learning Patience says:

Oh no! I feel your pain, literally – but I finished my half today w my broken foot anyway! 2hr 7min ill take it!!

Xoxo from Florida!!!

13. Lynette says:

I got a knee injury today :( hoping to rest it for a long run next weekend. Hope you’re feeling better!

14. Whit @ whit likes fit says:

I just found your blog through FF/Instagram. Your blog title caught my eye (beer girl here) and the 1st post I see is all about Sesmoids which my husband is suffering with. Fate…haha. New fan/follower here. Good luck with your injury.

15. Pingback: Resting Up | Love, Sweat, and Beers

16. Kelly says:

Found your blog by googling sesamoid. I have currently been suffering since October 2012. I am a nurse and my feet are everything! I just had another flare up but still need to workout! I bought a groupon for a pure barre class but afraid to do this, scared that I might make things worse. You mention you do Pilates when you had the sesamoiditis. Did you wear any extra pads or cushions are your feet? Just wondering! Thanks! – Kelly

Since the pilates I did was a DVD of simply mat work, I was fine. Barre classes might be tough though since they usually involve quite a bit of standing, much of which is done on the balls of the feet. Hope you start feeling better soon!