WIAW: Comfort Food Edition

Some days are fun.  Some days are smooth as molasses.  Some days are a piece of cake.  Then again… some days aren’t.  Yesterday was not one of those days.

Peas & Crayons

I knew it was going to be a doozie, so I did my hip exercises instead of a hard workout in the morning.  Hey, it was still something productive that allowed me to drink my coffee.  (multitasking)  I then powered up with a hemp and raspberry spinach smoothie.

smoothie

I powered up again with this “marathon mix.”  It’s high calorie, but it’s delicious and nutritious.  Win.

marathon mix

Lunch was a salad packed with strawberries, mushrooms, radishes, and cucumber – all topped with Annie’s Woodstock dressing.  The salad and the dressing were both great, but a different dressing might have made for a better pairing.

salad

For snack, I planned to have an apple and a hard boiled egg, but I thought this day needed some fun, or at least a fun-size treat.  (I still had the apple too.)

fun

I got home, ate a rice cake and sweated it out while dinner cooked.  It’s amazing how even a quick workout can change your mood.  Anyway, dinner’s ugly, but it was good.  Sweet potatoes are a total comfort food for me.  Well, sweet potatoes and fun-size treats… among other things.

potato

I may have also went for a little organic chocolate ice cream for dessert.  It was full-fat, so super creamy, but surprisingly relatively low in calories.  After today – I deserved it!

What are your comfort foods (the healthy or not-so-healthy ones)?

This entry was posted in Food and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to WIAW: Comfort Food Edition

1. Alexandra says:

Mmmm that marathon mix looks amazing!!! Trail mix is my HUGEST weakness, I love it so much! :)

2. Ice cream and anything with cheese are my comfort foods!

3. Lindsey says:

Pancakes and oatmeal for breakfast, and grilled cheese and soup for supper.

4. My favourite comfort foods are a big bowl of oatmeal, my mom’s minestrone soup, cheesy paninis, and pizza!

5. hmmmm comfort food for me…. chili :) I love me a good bowl of chili!

6. Allie says:

Dark chocolate is definitely my comfort food! Okay, and my any time food, too :)

7. Nichole says:

to the m&ms – it’s all about moderation! I want to do that salad sometime, you always forget that fruit can be a fun topping.

My fave comfort food is pretty much anything my grandmother whips up! Can we say banana pudding?

8. Kacy says:

Cheese, chocolate, ice cream :)

I hope today is better!

9. Comfort food for me is sweets…sadly. I wish it were something healthier!

10. Yum! Grilled cheese and soup reminds me of comfort food :) Ice cream is great too!

11. Jessica says:

I have been loving adding berries to my salads lately! They are such a yummy edition!

12. What a delicious smoothie!! I have been making more green smoothies lately and just love them!!! :)

13. Sweet potatoes are a comfort food for me too. Any sort of protein shake is comfort (weird, I know). Also – a slice of toast with peanut butter. Lots of PB.

14. Comfort food = mac and cheese.

15. There’s an ice cream social tomorrow in my building. Good God I love that stuff. :p

16. My favorite healthy comfort food is probably quinoa, I love it! Fave unhealthy has to be mac & cheese!

17. Mmm hard to beat sweet potatoes and nut butter as a comfort food for me…good thing they are both healthy!:)

18. Yajaira says:

how do you prepare your chicken? Do you bake?