Michelob ULTRA Light Cider

I have a new product to share with you guys. Okay, okay… it’s a new adult beverage. Big surprise there, eh? I think some of you might really be interested in this one. Michelob ULTRA Light Cider is now available nationwide (excluding CO, UT, WY and OK), and I recently picked some up to try.

cider
I’m very familiar with Michelob ULTRA Light, seeing how that was my drink of choice in college, and I’m not new to hard ciders either.

the big two-one
Though I like the taste of ciders, most of them are a bit too sweet for my liking. However, when I heard Michelob offered a less sweet, lower calorie alternative to traditional ciders, I knew I had to give it a shot. According to the company, this cider “is naturally sweetened and made from hand-picked apples,” and it’s also gluten-free. You can read more about it on the sponsor’s site here.

cider
Regular readers know my reviewing style. I go by Beer Advocate’s recommended ASTMO technique.

• Appearance: nearly clear, not nearly as golden as other ciders
  • Smell: almost no aroma
  • Taste: not much taste so extremely light in flavor; obviously tastes like apples; this does not taste like beer, so do not expect this to resemble the flagship Michelob ULTRA product; not overly sweet
  • Mouthfeel: light carbonation; lacks the syrup-like thickness of sweet ciders; has a dry feel that reminds me of English-style ciders; refreshing but almost too thin and watery
  • Overall: I liked this beverage and found it to be quite refreshing; however, I certainly would not recommend it to most of my craft beer drinking buddies. I’m not sure that I would buy this again since it was a bit too light in flavor, but I can definitely see how it would go well by the pool or on a patio. Even though it’s not exactly my cup of tea, I did enjoy it and would certainly recommend it to calorie-conscious friends who aren’t necessarily big beer drinkers.

summer
According to the company, “Michelob ULTRA Light Cider has 1/3 less calories than an average of the leading regular hard ciders, 120 cal./serving in light hard cider vs. 180 cal./serving in an average of the leading hard ciders.” It also has 4% ABV. Want to learn more? Check out the Michelob ULTRA Light Cider page on BlogHer.com.

• Which favorite summer meal or activity do you think would go best with Michelob ULTRA Cider?

This entry was posted in Brews and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Michelob ULTRA Light Cider

1. Miz says:

ahh today I say MY LIFE :)
    is my life and answer?

xo

2. Best activity? Lounging on the deck in the evening after the kids have gone to bed!

3. I WISH ultra was my drink o choice in college. I prefered calorie megabomb margaritas and Long Island iced teas.

4. ooo that looks awesome! I am going to have to try that!

5. Ooo that sounds interesting! I’m not a huge beer fan, but I may actually enjoy this based on how you’re saying it tastes!

6. Nichole says:

You’re going to love this – my husband just finished brewing a cider that has characteristics of a beer. It is amazing – again not too sweet but perfect for summer.

Leave it to Ultra to give us gals another fun drink!

7. I’ve seen lots of advertising for this product in magazines. I’m not a fan of hard ciders, I’m sure you could have guessed that, but thanks for the review! :)

Probably go best on a hot day at the beach…?

8. Kacy says:

I’ve only ever had Woodchuck as far as ciders go, so I don’t know how I’d feel about this. I’ve tried the ultra light beers MGD64 and BudSelect 55 and even though I can drink them in an effort to save calories, it just never feels right. I’d rather have the real thing.

9. Carly says:

Mmm I love ciders!!

10. This sounds like a great pool beer!

11. Cheryl says:

Not a huge cider fan. Love Summer Ales. Best activity?: sitting on a deck enjoying the company of friends.

12. I’d probably really love this, because I can’t drink the heavier beers. The problem I see with light beers/ciders is that it’s really easy to drink a few too many…which ends up defeating the purpose. Haha. It sounds like an awesome beach/poolside beer, though!!

13. Best activity? Day drinking by the pool with some fresh watermelon (already soaked in vodka of course) ;)

14. Good to know about the cider, I saw it at the liquor store the other week and contemplated getting it. I love hard ciders but I also love more intense flavors so this one would probably not be for me.

15. TUBING!! We go tubing down a river … we can bring ice chests with food and drink. Beer is always perfect for days we do that!

16. I’m very picky about beer but this one does sound like a good sip poolside like you said. I definitely like more depth in the flavor when I’m wanting a beer though. ;)

17. Mmm, I haven’t had a hard cider in a long time… that sounds really good right now!

18. Michelob ULTRA Light actually just became available in Canada and I love it…it’s so strange to see the nutritional information on the bottle, which almost never happens with Canadian beers.

It almost never happens with American beers either – only the ones who are proud to show theirs off to the masses. :)

19. Laury says:

I used to drink ultra light when I was 21 too! Ha!

Best activity..horsehoes at a summer BBQ!

20. I think I would really like this. Beer is just so heavy sometimes that I won’t even finish a bottle – especially in the summer, but this lighter, apply-tasting drink seems like a better alternative to the super sweet alcoholic drinks like Mike’s Hard Lemonade and Smirnoff Ice.