Has anyone seen that show, Secret Millionaire? I have seen it twice now because Kevin has kind of taken a liking to it. I’m not so much a fan of the show, but I’m a fan of how inspirational it is. You think The Biggest Loser is inspirational? You ain’t seen nuttin’ yet.
That one-minute clip sums it up. Millionaires secretly volunteer with organizations that help the underprivileged. At the end, the millionaires give a chunk of their own money to these charities.
I find the non-millionaire volunteer workers to be the most inpsirational. They’re there putting int heir time every day, and it’s so humbling to watch. I feel so guilty for not volunteering. I’m not saying I’m going to pick a charity (I keep pretty darn busy as-is), but the show has at least gotten me thinking. Here are four organizations that stand out to me.
- Soccer Kids of America (I contacted them to see if they have volunteer opportunities in my area – no response yet.)
- Hope Cancer Center (Volunteers help in various ways, like delivering warm meals to cancer patients.)
- Carolina Waterfowl Rescue (Most seems to be during my work hours, but I might be able to fit in something.)
- Girls on the Run (This isn’t what I’m passionate about, but I already know other volunteers, such as Caitlin.)
- Humane Society (Animals are dear to my heart, but I worry all the homeless fur children would upset me.)
Do you volunteer? What’s your soft spot – homeless, kids, animals, other?
In lighter news, this is what I’ve had for dinner the past two nights. It’s quite tasty.
Mmmm… sweet potatoes and I have a special bond. Excuse my while I drool.