Last week I received an OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer in the mail. I was so excited to give it a try, and the first thing that came to mind were potatoes. Slicing potatoes can be a pain, but those thin rounds are so delicious as scalloped potatoes, chips, and potatoes au gratin.
Although cheese and I are very close, I at least *try* to keep things healthy around here. Instead of a adding a lot of heavy cream or an artery-clogging amount of cheese to my potatoes, I decided to add some beans and veggies. On that note, I bring you…
Potatoes Au Gracias
- 2 medium/large baking potatoes
- 3 jalapenos (or half a bell pepper if you can’t take the heat)
- 1/2 medium/large onion
- 3/4 can fat-free refried beans
- 1 cup salsa of choice, 1/4 cup salsa of choice (reserved)
- shredded Mexican cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400. Very thinly slice potatoes, onions, and jalapenos. (so quick with the mandoline slicer)
- In a medium bowl, mix your beans and 1 cup salsa.
- In a medium casserole dish, spread half or slightly more than half of your bean/salsa mixture. Layer potatoes (I used two layers of potatoes because they were quite thin), then onion, then jalapenos. Top with remaining bean/salsa mixture and repeat.
- Top with final layer of potatoes, and add salsa.
- Cover with foil and bake approximately 45 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Uncover, add cheese (if using), and bake 10 more minutes.
I like cheap and easy recipes that use easy-to-find ingredients. If you can’t find this stuff at your grocery store, you might need to find a new grocery store.
A word about the OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer: I had no idea how cool this thing was. I’m not paid to say this, but it seriously made slicing up veggies effortless. I see myself using this baby a lot.
Good News for You: I actually received 2 from OXO, and one of you lucky readers gets one. Woohoo! Here’s how to enter this giveaway, which ends Wednesday night. I will announce a winner Thursday. You can have a total of three entries.
- Comment telling me what you’d slice first.
- Follow me via Twitter @lovesweatbeers (and let me know where to follow you).
- Tweet about this giveaway with a link to this page: