Happy Fantastic Friday! Why is it fantastic? Because it’s Friday, duh! (Wow. I just typed “duh.” I feel so Clarissa Explains It All right now.) It’s extra fantastic because I plan to get more free coffee…
Thanksgiving is rapidly approaching. This is my first year hosting, and it is stressful! Thanks, Mom for planning it all out all those years. I have a newly found respect for your efforts!
I’ve reserved my turkey and fresh rolls from The Fresh Market. (If you think I’m taking the time to bake bread from scratch you’re nuts.) I have picky eaters, but luckily I don’t have any kids to feed.
There are so many recipes I want to try, but due to the 1-oven problem and the 2-hands problem, I’m a bit limited. That’s okay – I’ve got some easy classics planned.
- Why? I haven’t even tried this yet, but I want to. I think the name says it all. Plus, ales and big festive meals are like peas and carrots. It just works. (Reviews say there’s a tartness and minimal head – this could be hit or miss.)
- Why? It pleases a crowd. You get something too unique, and someone is going to be disappointed. Sam is pretty straightforward. It’s full bodied enough to compliment the hearty flavors at the table yet not powerful enough to turn anyone off or to overpower the turkey.
- Why? I had to have an IPA on the list. It’s strong but not totally overpowering. Its unfiltered glory is bold enough to stand up to grandma’s mashed potato casserole, and its grapefruit undertones will pair wonderfully with the turkey and cranberry sauce.
- Why? I haven’t had this beer. I can’t say if it’s good, but I can say it’s rated well on Beer Advocate.http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/72 I like pumpkin beers, but I don’t love them. However, since they are so popular, I felt it was necessary to tack one onto the list. If you’re a pumpkin head, I’d give this one a shot.
- Why? It’s my favorite beer, duh. (There I go again…) This beer is bold, but it doesn’t have bite. This one’s going to be the perfect accompaniment to your stuffing. It boasts the largest amount of flavor without forcing you to make a bitter beer face in front of the family.