Thanksgiving Beer

Happy Fantastic Friday! Why is it fantastic? Because it’s Friday, duh! (Wow. I just typed “duh.” I feel so Clarissa Explains It All right now.) It’s extra fantastic because I plan to get more free coffee

mccafe

Thanksgiving is rapidly approaching. This is my first year hosting, and it is stressful! Thanks, Mom for planning it all out all those years. I have a newly found respect for your efforts!

I’ve reserved my turkey and fresh rolls from The Fresh Market. (If you think I’m taking the time to bake bread from scratch you’re nuts.) I have picky eaters, but luckily I don’t have any kids to feed.

kev 2007

Kevin - Thanksgiving 2007

There are so many recipes I want to try, but due to the 1-oven problem and the 2-hands problem, I’m a bit limited. That’s okay – I’ve got some easy classics planned.

sprouts

Sprouts from Last Night's Dinner

Also in the lineup are some good beers. Here’s a list of things that should pair well with your feast.
1. Harpoon Greatful Harvest Cranberry Ale
  • Why? I haven’t even tried this yet, but I want to. I think the name says it all. Plus, ales and big festive meals are like peas and carrots. It just works. (Reviews say there’s a tartness and minimal head – this could be hit or miss.)
2. Sam Adams Boston Lager
  • Why? It pleases a crowd. You get something too unique, and someone is going to be disappointed. Sam is pretty straightforward. It’s full bodied enough to compliment the hearty flavors at the table yet not powerful enough to turn anyone off or to overpower the turkey.
3. Smuttynose “Finest Kind” IPA
  • Why? I had to have an IPA on the list. It’s strong but not totally overpowering. Its unfiltered glory is bold enough to stand up to grandma’s mashed potato casserole, and its grapefruit undertones will pair wonderfully with the turkey and cranberry sauce.
4. Southern Tier Brewing Co. Pumpking
  • Why? I haven’t had this beer. I can’t say if it’s good, but I can say it’s rated well on Beer Advocate.http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/72 I like pumpkin beers, but I don’t love them. However, since they are so popular, I felt it was necessary to tack one onto the list. If you’re a pumpkin head, I’d give this one a shot.
5. Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest
  • Why? It’s my favorite beer, duh. (There I go again…) This beer is bold, but it doesn’t have bite. This one’s going to be the perfect accompaniment to your stuffing. It boasts the largest amount of flavor without forcing you to make a bitter beer face in front of the family.
beer
What are you Thanksgiving plans? Hosting or Attending?
What beer would you pair with the turkey dinner?

This entry was posted in Brews, Food and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Thanksgiving Beer

1. Alexandra says:

Man I cannot wait til thanksgiving! My dad’s birthday is the day before, so we may get some cake with our turkey too heehee ;)

2. lindsay says:

i hosted last year, and only for a small amount, but still, it was hard work. Yet i kinda liked it. Best of luck to you! wish i could come help ya.

3. My aunt is hosting this year which I’m rather excited about. My mom has hosted the past few years and that just means that as soon as I get home from school I have to do a massive amount of cleaning…no fun haha.

4. Nothing better than free coffee!! Hosting is probably a little bit stressful but I think you will do fine! :D

5. We’re not hosting this year, but I did have so much fun the year we did!

I’m a wine gal, but those beers *sound* good ;) And I highly suggest having one early in the day — it will help make cooking go really smoothly =P

6. Thanksgiving is the one time a year I wish I had double ovens. I’ve hosted twice since we’ve been married and luckily this year is not one of them :) The dishes are the worst part!

7. Yum, sprouts are my new favorite vegetable! Can’t eat them enough!! I’m sure you will do a fabulous job of hosting thanksgiving dinner! Good luck! :)

8. I am attending and I’m sad bc I don’t think their doing traditional thanksgiving. I’m missing Christmas so I wanted traditional. haha.

I’ve never tried Sierra Nevada’s Northern Hemisphere Harvest. I probably should since I’m still searching to find a beer of theirs I like!

Good luck on hosting! I’m sure you’ll have a ball! Don’t get too stressed out. At least you’ll have some good brews to keep you company in the kitchen. That cranberry one sounds so interesting. I’m not usually a fruit and beer kind of gal but when I was first getting my toes wet in beer I loved the fruity beers, like pomegranate and blueberry from a local brewery here.

9. We have Thanksgiving this weekend w/ my husbands dad… so excited about all of the good food!!
    Nothing like good food w/ family! And beer of course… =)
    Have a great weekend!

10. Brittany says:

Those brussles look PERFECT!! YUM! I am having dinner at my mamas house! I can’t wait!

11. Dorsa says:

We are hosting Thanksgiving again for the second time.. And I will be making the turkey for the third year in a row.. I have been named the family’s turkey cooker.. I have an amazing apple cider brine recipe for the turkey that will knock everyone’s socks off, if you want it I can pass it along to you.. Trust me when I say it will be the most amazing turkey ever :)

12. I’m normally one to go for wine or an occasional mixed drink, but the cranberry ale sounds very appealing!

13. Suzanne says:

That cranberry ale sounds yummy!

14. Greg says:

I have no doubt you’ll do a great job and it looks like you already have so many fun things on the menu. I love that you have a beer lineup. We always do wine. I should do both this year.