How to Cook Spaghetti Squash

It’s no secret. I love squash. The spaghetti squash is one of my favorites (okay… I don’t really have a favorite). Since many people may think I eat “weird” thing (looking at you, Dad), I guess this means I also cook “weird” things.

bloggie 004

In case you have not cooked your own spaghetti squash, here’s a quick how-to. I really recommend you try it some time, but don’t expect it to be like spaghetti. The stringy appearance resembles spaghetti, but it’s not the same taste or texture as pasta. Just sayin…

Guts

I usually like to wash, dry, and halve mine before cooking. You can bake it whole, but the guts seeds scoop out easier when it’s firm and raw.

Naked Squash!

Preheat oven to 400. Place squash face-down on a heavy baking sheet lined with heavy duty foil. The foil is only necessary if you hate doing dishes as much as I do and don’t want to wash the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.

Toasty

Take it out. Flip it. Poke a fork anywhere in the middle. If it’s firm but the fork enters easily, bake at the same temperature another 10 minutes. If the fork doesn’t want to pierce the squash, you may need to cook it another 20 minutes. I do not add spices, salt, or butter, but adding butter never hurt anything… except your arteries.

bloggie 009

Scoop out the goodness with a fork. It’s really hot, so you may want to hold the squash in a pot holder while doing this.

bloggie 012

Add your toppings. I like:

• Alfredo sauce and peas with broccoli
  • Marinara and nutritional yeast
  • Canned diced tomatoes, parmesan, and chickpeas

I’ve heard Mexican-inspired toppings are good too, but this time, I went for roast eggplant and marinara.

spagpastaspagsqua

Traditional Pasta vs Spaghetti Squash

Delish! ***You can also microwave these things, but baked tastes better and less watery.***

• Happy Friday! Got plans for the night?
  • Ever made a spaghetti squash? If so, what are your favorite toppings?

This entry was posted in Food and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to How to Cook Spaghetti Squash

1. Lauren says:

Making spaghetti squash today (cooking class). I generally love mine with pesto or, weirdly peanut sauce. You’re not a terrible blogger for skipping spin and having a beer, it’s “research” for you.

2. Alexandra says:

I’m so glad you posted this, I’ve always wanted a step by step on how to cook one! Now I’m craving squash really bad haha :D
    Have a great weekend!

3. Lee says:

I sometimes make them in the microwave. Just put a little bit of water in a bowl with the squash and nuke for about 10 minutes!

4. Katie says:

Plans this evening are supposed to go to a family friend’s for pasta, meatballs, and sausage! Oh yeah, it’s the real Italian pasta dinner and it’s been a while since I’ve had it and I’m going to enjoy it. I think a couple glasses of wine may be included as well, especially after this week. ;) I love spaghetti squash and have cooked with it, but sometimes you can’t beat the real thing. Happy Friday!

5. I should try making spaghetti squash…I’ve only eaten it once but I really liked it! This makes it look a lot easier than I thought it would be too :)

6. Anastasia says:

I’ve been seeing this squash pasta quite a bit lately and really want to try it. I never really eat squash so I should try this soon. Tonight my husband and I are going downtown for our local First Friday event. On the first Friday of every month all the art galleries open up and you can walk around and check out art while eating food and drinking wine. Sounds good to me :]

7. Allie says:

Thanks so much for this tutorial! Spaghetti squash has been on my “find it and make it” list forever–I’ve never had it and really want to try. This is bookmarked for when I finally track down a grocery store that carries it :)

8. I burn my hand every time I cook that squash b/c I’m so impatient with wanting to scrape it out too soon!

9. Dorsa says:

I.love.spaghetti.squash! YUMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :) I have only made it with spag sauce.. but I am willing to branch out :)

Tonight is movie night.. that and we are prob going to go get some Korean BBQ with some friends :) I have a living social deal :)

10. Love spaghetti squash! I can’t wait to make it again!
    No big plans for the weekend! Just cleaning…
    Have a great weekend! =)

11. Spaghetti squash is awesome! Love it.

I’m baking my nanny a tiramisu cake for her 75th birthday tonight but I also have to work on some business English homework — not looking forward to that one!

Have a great Friday night!

12. Thanks for sharing this. I have no idea why, but I did not know how to make this and was scared to even try. What was wrong with me?? Haha. At least I can fix it now!

No big plans for tonight, yet. I think a friend and I may catch up and I want to go to a workout class tomorrow at 830, but this friend is newly single. Haha. Time will tell!

13. Errign says:

I think I’ve had every squash except spaghetti! Haha, does it taste similar to any other squashes?

14. I’ve been a squash kick these past couple of weeks. I’ve seen so many great recipes in the blog world and I currently have three different versions in my fridge: butternut, spaghetti and acorn. Yeah, I have a problem. ;)

15. I LOVE Spaghetti Squash and always bake it and then add coconut oil and sea salt to it and call it a dinner :) I like mine simple, yet oily ;) LOL

xxoo

16. I love spaghetti squash, but my husband hates it. So I always have to make him regular pasta for his portion. But I love topping it with marinara and goat cheese with fresh basil. It’s so good!

Funny cuz my husband likes it, but sometimes make him real pasta since I think he needs to eat more. Haha. Ohhhh to have his metabolism!

17. I just made a spaghetti squash dish on Thursday night! I cooked it whole in the microwave before cutting it, but I wish I had cut it in half first and scooped out the seeds since it is a bit of a pain to scoop out the seeds after it is cooked! I don’t like traditional pasta sauce, so I usually top mine with balsamic vinegar, olive oil and veggies!

18. Why have I not tried this yet?!?! Thakns for posting I’m definitely going to try it :D

19. Spaghetti squash is the best. Although I only seem to eat it alone, because everyone classifies it as a “weird food.”

20. Pingback: I Love Animals | Love, Sweat, and Beers